Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Martha's Hands & Mary's Heart


I must have the hands of Martha; Hands that scrub and cook and sew;
I can have the heart of Mary while I do these things, you know;
Though my hands are in the dishpan, this soul of mine can soar;
And in thoughts sublime and lofty go right up to heaven's door.

I must cook, oh endless dinners, for dear ones have to eat;
But my soul need not be cooking --It can sit at Jesus' feet!
Help me, God, while doing duties, against which my soul rebels;
Meekly still to peel potatoes, but not to grovel in the shells.
Grant me, God, 'mid things prosaic, Ere to choose the better part;
Grant that while I must be "Martha", I can have a "Mary" heart.

Author Unknown

4 comments:

Nikki said...

I love you girl..Hang in there.

Misty Smart said...

Hi I am Josh Smart's wife, your husband and FUNNY CUTE NICE kids came to see us at our ranch this weekend. I have them on my blog and thought you'd like to see it. Hopefully, you can come next time, but I am jealous that you were at a spa weekend instead!!

Marni said...

Angel, i think you are amazing!I know ive said it before, but it's very true.
I love this poem and couldnt agree more! Thank you for the inspiration! also thank you so much for listing me in your "yellow pages". That really means a lot and any help i can get is awesome. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Carrie Allen said...

This poem is awesome!! I need to hang it on my fridge and read it every day. Ü