Friday, December 12, 2008

For Better or For WORSE .....

At some point early during this year I recall having a conversation with my husband concerning the loss of mom and the affects that it has had on me. Feeling appreciation for his patience and long suffering for me and my grieving, I turned to him and sad "I'm sorry! This isn't what you signed on for!" To which he casually replied, "Yes it is! I agreed to the better and the worst!"

Over the past several months, that casual statement has really been put to the test as David has carried the burdens so that I can mourn. He has had to do more, give more and learn to be tender with my fragile heart. He has loved me when I have felt so unlovable. The wife that he had on 12/16/07 is no more and he has had to watch every painful step of recovery as his "new" wife is created. Honestly, I don't know how he maintains his hope, when the end is so far away it is not even in sight?

While mom was living, she was impressed with David's love for me. She was proud of him for loving me so deeply the way she desired for me to be loved. She loved him for the man that he was, for his determination and hard work. She respected him for the testimony he held sacred and was able to love him from the inside out; soul -- weaknesses. She appreciated that he allowed her to be close in our lives. She felt accepted and wanted by him. It was a blossoming relationship.

It is interesting and wonderful to feel the development of our relationship, as our trust and commitment to one another has been deepened through this adversity.

No comments: